A few years ago, I was sitting on a couch in a doctor’s clinic wishing my stomach cramps would just vanish into thin air and I would be spared from these periodic visits. I tried my best to be patient in spite of the cramps and a runny nose but every few minutes my eyes were on the wall clock. Suddenly, my gaze fell on a poster on the wall which I had conveniently overlooked during my previous visits. The words on the poster “So many people spend their health gaining wealth and then have to spend their wealth to regain their health” ~ A. J. Reb Materi changed my life for the better.
Driving back home with a set of routine instructions from the doctor I pondered over my life. I lead a hectic life, long work hours, travelling most of the week to sustain my technology services job which filled my wallet, made me feel important, got me a seat in the front of the plane, took me to places that I never managed to experience but in the craze of it all I had also acquired persistent cold, a disgruntled digestive system, occasionally painful joints and a perpetually irritable mood. I had horribly missed work life balance and holidays were spent on the phone or answering email with very little time for myself. While wealth was stacking up, health was slipping away and at this rate my dream of seeing the marvelous creations of nature across the earth would largely remain unfulfilled. I would perhaps bid goodbye to earth with nothing to laugh about but a few unread boring e-mails, the thought of which seemed absolutely scary and I was determined for a solution.
The next few weeks were spent in reading all kinds of books including “You Can Heal Your Life” by Louis Hay. I realized that good health was beyond the physical body and thoughts and emotions had a significant role. I also understood the existence of the invisible sheaths or bodies beyond the physical body known as aura which had to be cleansed with positive thoughts and focused determination.
- I maintained a daily journal on what I felt during the day which I dutifully wrote every night before heading to bed.
- I spent a few days writing about the significant happenings in my life through the years, the regrets I associated with it and the blessings that came out of it albeit later. To my surprise I realized that the blessings far outweighed the regrets, anger and guilt.
- I started letting go of all the regrets, anger and guilt that I held inside which did not serve me any more by focusing on the blessings. My inner voice would often tell me,that life is a vacation and I am a traveler and every person who I met was a teacher. Different people will have different things to let go eg that aunt who made a sarcastic remark, the high school teacher who was unkind, that unrequited love who never understood, a friend who apparently betrayed trust, a boss who never gave recognition, a parent who never stood up, a sibling who mis-behaved, that university who refused admission, the bank balance which promised happiness and so on.
- I consciously started to look at every situation positively and reconstructed my words until it became a habit. eg instead of “I will not do this”, I focused on “I will do this”
- I applied a brake uttering “CANCEL” whenever a negative thought bubbled and in fact wrote an open letter to Thought
- Alongside, I began a regular yoga practice, feeling every pose and immersing myself in it and often ended up shedding tears without a reason
- I gorged on break fast, ate lunch on time, made dinner a light affair and caught up on sleep.
- Within a few months, I felt the change, my body was bendy, strong and when every one around was complaining of flu, aches and pains, surprisingly I had none.
- To my surprise, it was a while and I had not reached out for that pill to ease my queasy stomach.
- I was increasingly aware of everything around and things that irritated me earlier were now happily ignored. I felt light and happy most of the time.
- I took charge of my life by “Awakening the CEO” in me and my focus shifted gears from the corporate job to being my own best friend
- Patience, Empathy and Acceptance became an unconscious part of me showing the way towards Life is a Vacation.
- I realized that everything which showed up outside was a reflection of what was inside and the key to health and happiness was within me.
I know I am healthy and my “Life is a Vacation” when,
- I wake up in the morning with a smile for no reason
- I do not mind the neighbor’s pitter patter from the floor above
- I slip into yoga poses effortlessly enjoying the massage from the stretching and bending
- I love the wind in my face during my morning jog and feel my breath flow in and out smoothly leaving me energised
- I enjoy the drive to work inspite of traffic snarls enjoying music and people around
- I don’t experience a muscle twitch or my teeth grind while reading not so pleasant mails
- Everything at work falls into place without any fret and fume from co-workers
- I listen patiently to the persistent tele caller trying to sell me schemes and products allowing them to do their job before declining politely
- It takes a lot of hard work to get angry
- I instantly think of 10 different reasons why someone is being difficult and just let go
- I forgive myself and others and seek forgiveness without ego for anything out of place
- I think on my feet in difficult situations and focus on the solution without losing nerve
- I just eat what I want with dollops of love, with ultimate confidence on my digestive system
- I am not sneezing in the park or dealing with a runny nose during change of seasons
- I am planning my next travel somewhere on this planet
- I am reading through recipes and plotting when to do the next experiment
- I strike a random conversation in the park, mall, bus, airport, observe expressions and weave stories in my mind
- I sink into deep sleep as soon as my head touches the pillow irrespective of the place
If any of the above are amiss, I know it is time to contemplate, let go of that nagging thought, forgive, breathe mindfully, get regular with yoga, laugh out loud, drink an extra glass of water, stock up on juice and fruits, pack my bags for the next destination and get back on track. Our Health is our choice and our body and mind can Heal Thy selves only if we are determined.